New York is often hailed as one of the fashion capitals of the world. Avon, Calvin Klein, Aeropostale, and many other giants of the industry others call the Big Apple home, and for fashion fanatics, there’s nowhere else like it. If you’re serious about fashion, it’s one of the best places on Earth, and this guide will offer you some general tips to help get the most out of your trip, and look great doing it!
Places to Go
There’s literally thousands of fashion stores in New York, and dependent on what you want to do, and how hot you want to look doing it, there’s a couple of things you should keep in mind:
- Your Own Fashion Sense – It may sound like common sense, but think about what you like to wear and the best places to find it. Do some ‘window-shopping’ online first, and find the places that carry the things you love!
- How Rare is It? – Whether it’s makeup, shoes, dresses, or that perfect bikini for the summer, you should try to prioritize visiting the shops that you can’t get to easily where you live. You’re in New York, so go get what only New York can offer!
- How Close is It? – This is especially true if you’re pressed for time. Look at the different businesses you know you want to go to, and then plan a route that will get you where you want to go as quickly and safely as possible.
Places to Stay
It’s no secret that New York is one of the most expensive places in the U.S., and for good reason; the possibilities for dining, shopping and culture are vast. One of the most important decisions you can make is where you’ll want to stay. Besides staying within your budget (you want to spend those hard earned dollars on those shoes instead of housekeeping, right?!?), these are some of the things you’ll need to consider when you choose a hotel:
- Location – New York is huge, and you’re going to be fighting with millions of people just to get around. You should plan ahead to where you know you want to go, and then try to find a hotel that’s as centrally located as possible. Save those heels ladies!
- Transportation – Dependant on how you want to get around, having a hotel further away might not be such big deal. If you’re planning on buying a metro ticket for your stay, you’re pretty well guaranteed to always be able to get where you need to go on a reliable schedule. On the other hand, if you’re planning on taking a taxi everywhere, then the closer, the better.
- Safety – It’s no secret that New York can be a risky place to visit. Take the time to do some online research to make sure that you’ll fee both comfortable and safe, wherever you’re laying your head.
Going on adventures are awesome! You get to see places you’ve never seen before, experience new things, and have a ton of fun doing it! That being said, anytime you leave the safety and comfort of your own home, there’s always the risk that something will go wrong, and it’s important that you’ve planned ahead.
- Understand Where You’re Going – Just like with hotels, research the areas that you’ll be travelling to. Some neighborhoods are more risky than others; know where you’re going and how much risk you might be exposed to.
- Night Travel – New York is amazing at night, but it can also be unsafe. Stay in well-lit areas, don’t go out by yourself if you can absolutely help it, and know exactly what route you want to use to get to and from where you’re going.
- Share Your Plans – Ideally, you want to go with one of your girlfriends or that dashing man in your life, but if you want to go solo, you do you girl. Just be sure that wherever you go and whatever you do, you share it with someone you trust and, most importantly, someone who will check up on you to make sure you’re doing okay. Tell them exactly what you’re doing, where you’re going and when you expect to be back for the day. Nothing wrong with being spontaneous, and you don’t have to check in every 15 minutes, but you want the comfort of knowing someone is there to help you if you need it, even if it’s just a phone call.
While there’s so many things to think about when you’re going on a trip to New York, or anywhere else for that matter, these points will help you find what you’re looking for, in a place you can rest your legs for the night, while feeling safe. Now…go find that perfect dress ladies!